We use mobile phones, consoles, and personal computers to play games online and offline. While many gamers play for fun and entertainment, some play professionally. In reality, they make gaming their primary source of income. But, now the gaming industry is entering a new era of blockchain solutions development. It is the era of the metaverse, and NFT-based gaming, and it may soon reverse the proportions. NFT gaming drives non-professional gamers to learn, play, and earn a living via play-to-earn games. For instance, Axie Infinity, Gods Unchained, and Splinterlands have won over millions of gamers’ hearts and produced thousands of new employment. Let’s find out the know-how of NFT-based play-to-earn games and how to develop one for the masses.
The Role of NFTs in Gaming
NFTs (Non-fungible Tokens) are digital tokens. Each NFT gets a one-of-a-kind value recorded on the blockchain. Users can use an NFT to prove the ownership and validity of an associated object with it. The gaming industry needed this factor to evolve. Therefore, NFT-based games came into the role, either created from the ground up or adapted from existing games. The following are some of the reasons why NFTs could be a game-changer in the gaming industry:
- In-game assets currently have no use after a player has completed the game, and such assets cannot be accessible outside of the gaming platform.
- However, users can use NFT-based in-game assets to prove their scarcity and transition them from individual games to community-based games.
- Furthermore, once a player has completed a game, they can sell their in-game assets through a marketplace — either in-game or through popular ones.
This play and earn function allows players to cash out any money they have spent on the game and any winnings.
Also, Read | How Blockchain is Redefining the Traditional Gaming Space
What are Play-to-Earn NFT Games?
- A play-to-earn crypto game uses NFTs in the form of in-game assets, which players who win a stage get as rewards. It is an emerging gaming concept. As more and more games come into existence, players may start winning prizes or in-game assets as crypto assets.
- Many of these gamers are about warfare, strategy, or both. Player vs. player (PvP) and player vs. computer (PVC) conflicts are possible in such games, with PvP battles garnering the highest in-game awards.
- Many games allow players to sell their assets if they no longer require them or have completed the game, ensuring that none of the player’s money gets squandered.
Popular Play-to-Earn NFT games
In 2022, the NFT gaming sector will continue to grow with the introduction of new crypto games and the news of more on the way. Some of the best NFT games available are included below, including some that have been around the longest.
Players can acquire and breed Axies, which are digital monsters that users can utilize to battle other players for bitcoin. Each Axie is an NFT with unique characteristics and abilities. To make money from their gameplay, players can win SLP tokens and sell Axies.
It is a fantasy football collectible card game in which you may buy, sell, and trade digital player cards from over 100 licensed football teams. You buy digital trading cards that “live” on the Ethereum blockchain, instead of picking player names from a list. When you and your team win competitions, you earn cryptocurrency and digital collectible cards in the form of prizes.
Delving into Developing Play-to-earn NFT Games
Developing a game where NFTs are an inextricable element of the in-game economy necessitates an active and watchful mindset. Building and managing such a game do necessitates much more. Approaching a company with expertise in designing play-to-earn NFT games is the right way to make your job easier. Let’s have a look at how a seasoned development firm like Oodles can help you with your ambitious project in the following areas:
- A company with this level of competence would have a specialized ideation team whose job is to work with you to develop your game’s fundamental concept. What started as a hazy concept, may turn into a plot for a forthcoming blockbuster game.
- It would help you construct the game using a precise plan that includes a lot of strategizing. It will assist you in deciding which stacks to employ and which databases to manage. After examining the availability of essential resources, they will finalize the team and a complete estimate to complete the game’s development.
- A company like this would have teams of professionals specializing in front-end and back-end development. While the front-end development team focuses on creating a smooth user experience and interface, the back-end development team develops the game’s primary platform, which is both robust and structured.
- In addition, a company with experience in building NFT games would have an expert team of testers who would run automated tests to detect flaws, errors, and problems and fix them so that the game is error-free. They’d also do alpha and beta testing to ensure that the gaming product functions properly.
Also, Read | The Emergence of Web3 Gaming Powered by Blockchain
Some Advantages of Hiring a Professional Firm for the Job
Aside from learning how an NFT game development firm can help you at every stage of your project, it’s also necessary to understand the benefits of working with one, which are listed below:
- You can deploy your gaming platform on any blockchain of your choosing. Also, you can even spread your game across numerous chains to boost the value of in-game assets.
- The gaming platform can offer fungible and non-fungible tokens (NFTs) to attract more users and maintain exclusivity.
- Any data entered into your gaming platform will be immutable. TIt will use decentralized storage mediums that are loss-proof to ensure that the data is highly secure.
- The gaming platform will get military-grade security features, which gaming and blockchain experts design. It ensures that the product is tamper-proof and includes powerful opponent detection methods to prevent hostile behavior.
Also, Read | Insights into Blockchain, NFT, and Metaverse based Gaming
Processes for Developing Play-to-Earn NFT (P2E) Gamed
- Develop a 2D or 3D game and incorporate NFTs into them.
- Build a smart contract to run a peer-to-peer game
- Combine blockchain with smart contracts to run a P2P game
Let’s assume you’ve read this far and have decided to take your play-to-earn game with NFT to the next level. If you lack the necessary experience, do approach a company of blockchain experts like Oodles to bring your concept of NFT-based play-to-earn games to life.